My Big Life Change!

Picture taken by Abby Austin of 1000 Miles on my own two feet.



MY GOALS FOR LIFE!

To transform my life, with God's help of course, one step at a time.

1. Get healthy & honor God with my body

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter


2.Become at least 50% sustainable with emphasis on doing our part to take care of God's planet.


3. Live life as an adventure, experiencing new places, things & people.
18 out of 150 bucket list goals accomplished


4. Become debt free & build security for my family, so we can then bless others financially also.

5. Continue to grow closer to God, building My family's faith & sharing the Gospel with those we meet, by using the talents and gifts God has provided us.

6.Continue to make money by creating and sharing my thoughts and beliefs through artistic expression: all the while hoping that my art will impact others. "Holly Kennedy

: All I know is, if you don't figure out this something, you'll just stay ordinary, and it doesn't matter if it's a work of art, or a taco, or a pair of socks! Just create something... new, and there it is, and it's you, out in the world, outside of you, and you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it... and you know a little more about... you. A little bit more than anyone else does... Does that make any sense at all?" Quote from PS I LOVE YOU

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Musicals (part 2) The List

For explaination read part 1. Otherwise this is my musical list! This list is not all of the musicals I have seen, but the ones I have watched since starting my adventure list.

1. Fosse - This is a musical based on the choreographer Bob Fosse and the songs he has choreographed. 30 songs from such wondrous musicals like Pippin, Chicago, Cabaret, All That Jazz and so many more. It's a 3 act production without a story line but featuring some of his famous dances. There are so many talented people in this musical but I loved Ben Vereen and of course Ann Reinking. Ann Reinking played Grace Ferrell in Annie whom I got to play her part in our little high school production of Annie! Love her! Apparently, Bob Fosse was unbelievably talented.

2. Victor/Victoria - there are 2 movie versions of this musical. I watched the one in 1982 with Julie Andrews and James Garner. I really loved it! The plot of the musical was a struggling singer is finding a very hard time finding work when she runs into an older gay man who introduces her to idea of her singing as a guy pretending to be a girl. Well she becomes a sensation but trouble arises when she starts falling in love with a guy, who thinks she is a guy. Well although the topic of the musical is taboo, I really loved the witty script and of course Julie Andrews is amazing! She hits the glass breaking note many times in this musical and I will always be in awe of her.

3. Cats - Watched it last week and was sorely disappointed. Cats is one of those musicals that is talked about and talked about. But because of my highly active toddler, it was very hard to hear the words and I was expecting a major storyline so I was very confused. So I have decided to read the book that it is based on Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats. And then watch it again when kiddo is asleep or gone for the night.
When I do, I will update this list!

4. Little Shop of Horrors(1986) - Okay who knew this musical was so good! I have to admit I had not heard what this movie was about but stayed away from it. When I started the musical and saw Rick Moranis and Steve Martin was in it I was hooked! I couldn't stop laughing and watching it! I thought it was wonderful! My favorite song was Suddenly Seymour when Rick Moranis and Ellen Greene realize their love for each other. And of course when ... well that would spoil it. Watch this movie, so much fun!


5. Sarafina!(1992) - This movie musical was made in 1992 after the Broadway show lasted 597 performances. It was conceived and directed by Mbongeni Ngema. When I saw the preview on the T.V. I thought that Whoopi Goldburg was the main character. But in fact she is not featured too much in the movie. The story line is about students involved in the Soweto Riots, in opposition to the Apartheid. Sarafina (Leleti Khumalo) is a student who dreams of being a star but she is stuck in a tough time where freedom is just a dream. Sarafina is encouraged to fight freedom without killing by her teacher (Whoopi Goldburg) but when her teacher is arrested for teaching the truth, Sarafina has to find her own way. This movie is hard to watch but I was glad that I did.

6. Oklahoma (1999 musical film version) Oklahoma has been made into 2 movies, the original film done in 1955 and this new version in which the stage performance is filmed. I had seen the original Oklahoma long before in my teenage years, when I was in lust with theater and stage performance. But when I saw that Hugh Jackman was a main performer in this version of Oklahoma, I had to see it! It also starred Josefina Gabrielle as Laurey and those 2 together played a wonderful performance. I really enjoyed hearing Hugh sing and watch him dance and there were so many wonderful performers. You need to see this version!

7.Star - is a 1968 American musical film about the life of Gertrude Lawrence. This 175 minute film stars Julie Andrews who is one of my favorite actresses. I had to watch this movie in sections because of its length. But it is really a great film, and was nominated for 7 academy awards. Julie does a great job protraying Gertrude who loves the theater more than anything else in her life including her 2 husbands and daughter and is very conflicted about it. The costumes are fabulous and so is the content, but my favorite parts are the extremely witty comments by her best friend Noel Coward. He was hysterical. My favorite song was "Jenny", Andrews did many stunts for this song alone, it was quite impressive. I loved this movie!

8. South Pacific - (the 2001 movie version) I have seen the original version such a long time ago. But I have to say this version is the best I have ever seen! Glenn Close was phenominal in this movie. She sang beautifully and her on screen romance with Race Sherbedgia felt so real. And of course Harry Connick Jr. was wonderful to look at in this film. I was saddened by the fact that "Bali Hai" was shortened, but "I'm Gonna Wash That Guy Right Out Of My Hair" was done great. I recommend this film for sure. In fact I would love to buy this film.

9. Hair - made in 1979, this film is a hippie revolution. Treat Williams stars in this film that is based upon the very popular musical. Set in the sixties in the middle of the Vietnam war, one Oklahoma boy (Claude) heads to New York. He has been drafted and with only a couple of days before he has to show up to the drafting board, he meets some unlikely characters. A band of hippies who oppose the war and most forms of conforming, take Claude for a ride. With the sexual content, drug use and nudity, this show is not for the faint of heart. There were a few laughable moments including the song "Black Boys". But for the most part, I didn't like the movie. Not because of the shady content, but mostly because it was too serious and sad for me. I rally couldn't relate to anything in the movie and although with most musicals that isn't an issue, it was with this one. Sometimes I was very confused on what was real and what was an LSD trip. I don't recommend this one unless you relate to the issues, the age or the rebellion.

10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
61
62
63
64
65
66
67
68
69
70
71
72
73
74
75
76
77
78
79
80
81
82
83
84
85
86
87
88
89
90
91
92
93
94
95
96
97
98
99
100.

2 comments:

  1. Check out Stephen Sondheim's Putting It Together - A Musical Review {http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Sondheims-Putting-Together-Musical/dp/B00005UW80).

    ReplyDelete