The most time-consuming part of the cutting is the preliminary analysis of the rough stone. It needs to address a large number of issues, bears much responsibility, and therefore can last years in case of unique diamonds. The following issues are considered:
- The hardness of diamond and its ability to cleave strongly depend on the crystal orientation. Therefore, the crystallographic structure of the diamond to be cut is analyzed using x-ray diffraction to choose the optimal cutting directions.
- Most diamonds contain visible non-diamond inclusions and crystal flaws. The cutter has to decide which flaws are to be removed by the cutting and which could be kept.
- The diamond can be split by a single, well calculated blow of a hammer to a pointed tool, which is quick, but risky. Alternatively, it can be cut with a diamond saw, which is a more reliable but tedious procedure.
- After the initial cutting the diamond is polished into various shapes and sizes for many different uses. Polishing is even more tedious and slow but it removes more impurities and brings out the shimmering beauty of the diamond. The diamonds are then chosen for their duties to either be used in tools or machines to do more cutting or to be put on display. Certain diamonds have been contaminated with minerals they absorb around them that give them their different colors.
- All diamond info was taken from wikipedia click here if you want to learn more.
You are a diamond! Formed in a miraculous way by your wonderful Creator. Sifted through time and space to be brought up to the surface at a precise moment. Surrounded by people who will protect you and contaminate you. And during that wonderful moment you find God, you are lifted from the ashes and put in to His hands for cleaning. Transformation is a slow and tedious process. He uses situations and people to cut and polish away those years of dust and contaminates. Each layer He takes off hurts a little less, and you don't even know how brilliantly you start to shine. He knows which contaminates to leave in that bring out the best colors in you. And soon the flaws that are left have to be seen by the most powerful microscope. Your brilliance is blinding. You are shining so brightly that everyone wants to hold you and be around you. They want to know what makes you so beautiful.
So in 2012, let's shine! Let's allow God to cut and polish us, deeper and deeper until Jesus shows through! Let's make the world want to put away the cubic zirconium and turn to the true and pure radiance that God is. That is my wish for this year, will you join me?