My Big Life Change!

Picture taken by Abby Austin of 1000 Miles on my own two feet.



MY GOALS FOR LIFE!

To transform my life, with God's help of course, one step at a time.

1. Get healthy & honor God with my body

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter


2.Become at least 50% sustainable with emphasis on doing our part to take care of God's planet.


3. Live life as an adventure, experiencing new places, things & people.
18 out of 150 bucket list goals accomplished


4. Become debt free & build security for my family, so we can then bless others financially also.

5. Continue to grow closer to God, building My family's faith & sharing the Gospel with those we meet, by using the talents and gifts God has provided us.

6.Continue to make money by creating and sharing my thoughts and beliefs through artistic expression: all the while hoping that my art will impact others. "Holly Kennedy

: All I know is, if you don't figure out this something, you'll just stay ordinary, and it doesn't matter if it's a work of art, or a taco, or a pair of socks! Just create something... new, and there it is, and it's you, out in the world, outside of you, and you can look at it, or hear it, or read it, or feel it... and you know a little more about... you. A little bit more than anyone else does... Does that make any sense at all?" Quote from PS I LOVE YOU

Monday, May 16, 2011

Watching what you watch!

God has been laying this post on my heart for a long time, so please bear with me.
6 months ago I was perusing Facebook and saw this video that one of my family members linked to their wall. It said something like this is why you shouldn't prank people. So my curiosity was peaked and I clicked on it. I watched in suspense as a guy with a face mask snuck up on a girl in her kitchen. She was then so scared that she ran out of her house into her back alley and then as her friend took of his mask, she violently got hit by a car. All of this was on video, she never got up and that was the end of it. This girl's life was over and I had just watched her last moments. I cannot tell you how many haunted dreams, day and night I have had over this 3 minute video.  The fact that this video was even on Facebook, is disturbing to me. How would this girl's family feel if they knew that people were watching this? Is there no decency anymore. I see titles of video's all the time that seem very personal and private moments that are strung up over the internet. Not good moments, nothing to be proud of, but then they have thousands of views.
Now I have talked before how I can't watch really scary movies without being affected. But real violence on the media is a real issue. Believe me I really have nothing to say about what should and shouldn't be watched on television. We are big fans of crime drama like NCIS, Criminal Minds and CSI. But the real crime and violence really affects me and I know that I can't be the only one affected. I am really a stickler about how much news and reality television we watch.  I also am very careful about how much television Joslyn watches. And its not for the reasons your probably thinking. Yes there are a lot of crummy shows out there that are posing as children's shows. But it's the commercials that I am actually trying to keep us from watching. Millions of dollars are spent deciding what the latest and greatest toys will be for each season. The toy makers and ad campaigns tell many of your kids what toys they must have. I hear people say how silly it is that people fight over the same toys at Christmas, but most parents are out there trying to get that coveted toy for a great price. It is amazing to me how many of the toys nowadays are useless for kids. The kids play with it for a week, a month maybe more but ultimately the toy ends up in the junk pile at the garage sale. I really love that Joslyn isn't attached to any characters yet. She does watch a few Barney video's but not very often. Most of her toys are balls and ABC toys and blocks. I don't mind her having dolls and a random toy that is a character, but I am not going to buy a specific toy because she saw it on TV. That is how I feel, like it or not. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on watching what you watch. I'm extremely suggestible and, when I see something, it's stuck in my head. I don't like it. I'm so glad that I didn't see that video. I'm sorry you did.

    I'm not a big fan of character things either. I'll try to help you by not buying Joslyn character toys.

    Speaking of things for Joslyn, I've amassed a minor collection of things for her. I'll be bringing it when we come to OK in less than a month(!). If I can fit it in my suitcase (which I am carrying on), it shouldn't be too much for baby girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete